The Funding Zone Scoreboard

Farrell Defeats Coudersport and Advances to the Class A Western Finals

Written by: on Saturday, November 23rd, 2019


They say that defense wins games and the Farrell Steelers used a stout defense to shutout the Coudersport Falcons 28-0 Friday night at Mansell Stadium in DuBois.  The Steelers recorded their 9th whitewash of the year, and in doing so won their 12th straight, upping their record to 12-2.  Farrell’s coach Anthony Pegues excitedly proclaimed, “the defense stepped up as they have all year, played well, put a lot of pressure on the quarterback.”

That defense limited a good Falcon offense to 90 total yards and 4 first downs for the entire game.  They registered 5 sacks and constantly hounded Hayden Keck, the Coudy QB.  Keck only completed one pass and that was for zero yards.  “They’re a dang good football team,” stated Falcon head man Tom Storey, “they dominated the front line on both sides of the ball.”

Although Farrell moved the ball offensively, Coudersport did well themselves on defense.  “Their defense played stellar.  The kids got after it and played really hard,” said Pegues about the Falcons.  That included a big fourth down stop at the Coudy 20 after the Falcons had turned the ball over at the 22 on a bad punt snap on their second possession.  With a scoreless first quarter in the books, Farrell was finally able to dent one of the top defenses in the state in yielding points in quarter number two.

Early in the second stanza the Steelers mounted a 48-yard scoring drive that ended when Jaden Harrison found his way into the end zone from the ten-yard line at the 10:53 mark.  Later in the quarter, Raymond Raver scored on a two-yard run to double the Farrell lead to 14-0 with just under two minutes to go in the half.  On that 53-yard drive, the Steelers converted two 4th down situations.  The first one being a clutch 25-yard pass from Raver to Anthony Stallworth on fourth and eight.  The second was inside the ten setting up Raver’s score on the next play.

The third quarter began with the Farrell defense forcing a three and out.  Brice Butler, who had a couple nice punt returns, set up Farrell’s third score on a 25-yard scurry with a punt.  Starting at the Falcon 25, Stallworth ran three consecutive plays, scoring on a 2-yard run the last time.  That put Farrell on top 20-0 three minutes into the second half.

Coudersport’s Jacob Pitcher returned the ensuing kickoff 37 yards to the Steeler 41.  From there Keck scrambled 32-yards on third down to the Farrell three.  That was the first 1st down of the game for the Falcons.  They were now poised to cut the lead to two scores.  But Farrell’s ‘D’ stuffed two runs and then forced a fumble that Juwon Samuels recovered at the one.  “That was a big stop,” stated Pegues, “and once we got that stop, we just kind of knew it was over.”

Farrell scored their final points in the fourth quarter on a jet sweep pass from Raver to the speedy Harrison that covered 74 yards.  Raver then connected with Omar Stewart for the 2-point conversion to set what would become the final at 28-0.

Keck accounted for 73 of Coudy’s 90 yards, carrying the ball 18 times.  “We’re still building the program, trying to build a culture in Coudersport,” said Storey, “we have a lot of things to do in the off-season.”  Coudersort ends the season 11-1.

Farrell was led by Stallworth who had 146 yards on the ground and the one TD.  They also had a nice performance by Harrison who rushed for 55 yards and scored twice, one via the run and one via the pass.  “We like to call them thunder and lightning,” said Pegues, “Stallworth is a little stronger and a bigger kid.  Harrison is smaller and faster.”  Raver completed four passes for 111 yards and a touchdown.  Farrell will now move on to play Clairton next week in the Class A western final.

Follow on Twitter @WPAFootball

Leave a Reply

Comments are closed.