PA Football News Store Scoreboard


Written by: on Saturday, June 23rd, 2012


On this night in Huntingdon, one last football game for these graduated seniors….and it lived up to its name. “This week was about a team coming together and they did that well,” said South squad coach, Ernie Fetzer, whose team left War Memorial stadium with a 35-28 victory.   “The heat this week, which reached the 90s, didn’t really affect preparations, as a matter of fact the kids were fine…it was  the COACHES we were worried about,” laughed Fetzer.

The South squad, led by Bellwood-Antis QB Ryan Stuby, showed they were prepared, going 56 yards in just seven plays.  Stuby’s rival during the regular season, RB Christian Getz of Tyrone, carried the load of the drive. On 1st and 10 from the South 27 Stuby hit Altoona’s Rafeeq Barnes in stride down the sideline for the first score of the game.

The North team tied the game with 10:31 left in the second period.  Following a critical QB sneak by Clearfield’s Curtis Frye, the North squad relied on RB Beau Swales to carry them into the end zone.

The South again used Getz and Stuby to march down field. The drive was highlighted by another Stuby/Barnes connection, this time for 26 yards over the middle.  “The play of Stuby and Barnes was critical. Those guys learned a lot of formations in a short time” said Coach Fetzer.  Kris Stern would finish the drive with 1:08 left in the half, going 1 yard.

1:08 does not seem like much time. The North squad agreed and used every single second and more to tie the game.  With one second left on the clock, North coach Lester Smeal called a time out.  “We knew they were playing man coverage so we drew one up in the huddle. We loved it when we saw they lined up in man for the play,” said Smeal.  So did State College QB Josh Weakland.  As time expired he laid a beautiful sideline pass into the waiting hands of Swales.  He never broke stride and 53 yards later was celebrating with his teammates in the end zone.

The third quarter was the undoing for the North, despite a heroic effort by Central Mountain’s Holden Whitehead who ended the night with 15  tackles, 2 for loss.  “Beat by a trick play” said Smeal after the game…..that trick play put the South in the lead for good.  With the score at 21-14 in favor of the South following a Kai House td run, the North went 3 and out.   On the first play of the drive Stuby, Getz and Stewart Borst played a little backfield hot potato, then Stuby hit a wide open Dan Moyer for a 55 yard double reverse pass touchdown to bring the lead to 28-14.  Barnes would make the score 35-14 on a nice 23 yard td run. That drive was kept alive by a beautiful leaping grab by Getz for 26 yards.

Swales, who ended the night with 120 yards rushing for three touchdowns and added a fourth touchdown receiving, would help bring his team back on the next play going 70 yards. Then, because game rules allow a choice of receiving or kicking when down by nine or more, the North decided it wanted the ball again.  Swales brought the score to 35-28 carrying the ball most of the last drive. During the final scoring drive Penns Valley product Austin Auman had several key carries for first downs, but the deficit was just too much to overcome and the South ran the clock out on the game.

Follow on Twitter @WPAFootball

Leave a Reply